Support of measures to provide a system of quality education that is adequately financed and is responsive to the needs of all the children of Oakland, with the following objectives:
1) Review on ongoing basis a strategic plan for Oakland public schools consisting of coordinated plans created by ongoing, broadly based committees representing administrators, teachers, community members and students. Elements of these plans would include a clear definition of educational philosophy, a description of goals and priorities, and accountability for the following issues:
● instructional programs
● highly qualified teachers and administrators
● financing and budgeting
● community environment
● school facilities
● the relationship between District and other elements in the community
The Strategic plan should reflect the total socio-economic condition of the city. The plan should address equity in the distribution of resources to school sites, especially between economically disadvantaged and more affluent neighborhoods, fostering improved multicultural respect and appreciation.
2) Promote the ability for individual schools, through incentives for principals and teachers, to increase parental involvement and develop educational plans geared to the needs of their school communities.
3) Develop curricula and teaching methods relevant to urban areas, provide adequate facilities and materials and aid teachers in developing creative, innovative, and relevant curriculum and teaching methods.
4) Assure adequate for construction and maintenance of school buildings. 5) Develop new sources of revenue to supplement revenue from property taxes.
5) Evaluate all the above with robust data collection, full transparency, and annual reports to the public.
Oakland (1971, 1980, 2014, 2019)